Thursday, October 3, 2013

Wing progress

Wing update:

I completed the bending of the PVC for the upper wing structure. Both the harness and part of the wing structure were made out of PVC since I can bend it into the shape I want. Other wings that I have seen on le internets have visible seams from being glued together cardboard or foam. I'm hoping to avoid that by laying down foam and/or paper mâché along the top, making a seam free wing. 

The rest of the wing will be roughed out with wire. This is to reinforce the cardboard and foam which will make up the rest of the structure and feathers.  Once I get everything in about the place I want it, it will be time for paint, and then glue everything. 


Mostly happy with the shape and how the frame turned out. They are almost symmetrical, which I was worried about. I don't want one of them sticking up higher than the other. Before I bent the pipe, I did a wear test, and put on the harness and had my very patient partner socket the wings in. Not too heavy yet, they should be comfortable enough to wear for a couple of hours without much pain. Although I will have to have my partner put the wings on and off, since I can't get them on and off without him. Therein lies the problem with wings. At least I will be able to get everything else on and off by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment