Monday, October 7, 2013

Wing Progress, Pt. 2

I have started to cover the wings in foam. Finally. I have a cold, which is making it difficult to be motivated enough when I am home to work on the wings. Despite the cold, I did manage to put a final bend in the wings and start the process of turning the frame into something that resembles feathers and wings.

After doing another wear test, I realized that the wings, being mounted at an angle, were sticking out way far behind me. The pipes were bent all in a flat plane, and that wasn't working for the overall aesthetics of the wings. Thus, I bent down the sides, and I think it's turning out pretty well now.

Covering the top portion of the PVC with craft foam took longer than I thought it would. It also left more seams than I thought it would. However, I do own a dremel, so I've started to sand down any really big seams or edges with the dremel before I start painting. Once I am finished with all the foam, I am going to use a paint/primer spray paint that is meant to lay down thickly so I can sand down any seams further after one coat. Then more paint, a second round of sanding, and potentially more paint/primer. Then the detail paint. Then done?

Also started adding on wire reinforcements for the foam. The long side wires will be reinforced so they aren't so wobbly, and they are actually shorter now than they are in this picture. I tried it on after I added the long wires, and realized it came down to mid calf. A bit too long for my liking.

Shortened up those wires, and started tracing out the big long feathers that will make up the bottom part of the wings. Hopefully I'll get more of the foam cut out and onto the structure tonight, as long as I'm not incapacitated by too many coughing fits. Colds suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment