Sunday, September 29, 2013

Wing harness


The wing harness is done. Well, almost. The wooden pegs will need to be covered in foam to make them fit snugly into the wing sockets. They are currently too skinny, so just need to pad them out a bit. 

How I made the wing harness: I started by measuring out and cutting a piece of cardboard to rough out how big I should make the piece. Turns out my back is not as long as I thought. Measure twice, cut once. I've seen other wing harnesses that have been made by attaching PVC to a hard board, but I wanted something I could bend and mould to the shape of my back to make the profile under my dress smaller, and to make it more comfortable to wear. I went with making the harness out of a frame of PVC. I cut four lengths of pipe to the cardboard mock up, and fit them into the socket things I can't remember the name for. Brain, stop being forgetful. Thus I ended up with a rectangle of PVC. 



The bends in the PVC were accomplished with a heat gun, and the respirator mask I had been waiting on last weekend. The pegs are a dowel, cut to some arbitrary length I decided looked good. To set the pegs, I heated the PVC until it almost burned, and then pushed the peg down into the pipe. This ended up working pretty well. The pegs have been secured with an obnoxious amount of hot glue and crazy glue. Those suckers should not be going anywhere. 

I attached some small pieces of foam left over from the commander Shepard costume to make the points of contact more comfortable. Last but not least, I sewed on the shoulder and waist straps. Voila, wing harness.

I started bending the PVC for the wings, but I only did the first bend to get the pipe into the position I wanted it to be in to attach to the harness. I wanted the harness done before I got into shaping the wings so the shape when mounted is correct. 


Wing harness down, wings and dress to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment