Friday, September 27, 2013

Head.....thingy

The saga of dealing with pantyhose continues. Oye. At least I'm almost done with it now. I started and finished the head cover last night. Easy, right? Pffff. Nope.

The head piece is to cover the areas of my face not entirely covered by the wig or mask, and to cover my neck. I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to attach it to the dress or to the gloves, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I put the pantyhose on my head in front of a mirror, and then cut out fabric around the face to make the face opening. I may have accidentally cut a few hairs, oh well. I marked off where to cut the end on top of my head with a bit of thread, and took it off. I put it on the foam head, and went around the edge with nail polish to seal it and keep it from running. I sewed the top shut with a bunch of random stitches, it doesn't have to be pretty, just functional.

It took me two attempts to actually get this right. The first time I tried, I ripped the pantyhose and created runs all over the place. Great. Start again.

I ended up stuffing a bunch of newspaper into the top, the foam head is smaller than my head (and I have a small head). This was to expand the pantyhose enough to paint it. The paint job on the top of the head doesn't need to be great, it is going to be under the wig.

It looks weird with the newspaper all lumpy in the top, but hopefully once I take it off, it'll be fine. Haven't done that yet, as it was drying when I went to sleep last night. I painted a small piece of leftover panty hose to cover the eyes in the mask, but it came out too dark, so one more layer of paint for that, then time to glue it to the mask.

This weekend will begin the large construction part of the costume: the wing harness and the wings. I wanted to start these last weekend, but alas, this is the way of things. I guess. Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment