Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Blasts from the past

 While I'm in costume downtime mode, here's some pictures of Halloween's past. I don't have any pictures of my 2010 costume for some reason, although I still have the costume. It was a Tron Legacy costume, the suit worn by Quorra. Maybe I'll find a picture of that later.

Anyways, 2007, to the left, I was a Blue Fairy, although with the giant peacock wings, most people thought I was a peacock. This is probably one of my only true original ideas, and I made it in maybe 2-3 weeks? This was the first year of grad school, and it was the first year I made it on my own without anyone's help. Also the first year I made wings. Fairly rudimentary design, but it worked for the costume. Yes, I am wearing that in a lab.
 2008, I decided to be Dark Helmet. Space Balls is one of my favorite sci fi satire movies, and one of my all time favorite movies hands down. I still had the helmet, which is paper mache, until recently. It had started to really break down, and was getting really sad. I still have most of the rest of the costume, although the boots were cannibalized for the Commander Shepard costume, so if I were to ever be Dark Helmet again, it would require some major reconstruction.

Gloves I bought, shirt I made, along with the shorts and tie and cape. The pants are spandex I had. Again, it didn't take me as long to make this as more recent costumes, and it was mostly sewing.
 2009, I switched gears and decided to be Marie Antoinette. Mostly because I wanted to make a huge dress. This costume probably has the most money in it, due to the expensive brocade material I decided to make it out of. It turned out really well, but I only ever wore it once on Halloween of that year. It is huge and bulky and hard to move in. However, I'm hanging on to it, just in case I ever have occasion to need a huge dress.

It did sustain some damage being worn out on halloween, and I only recently pulled it out to clean it, but again, with some small fixes, totally wearable again.
2011, I did a complete 180 turn in the direction of my costuming and was the Queen of Blades. Previous costumes had mostly been fabric and sewing, and I wanted to expand my costuming skills repertoire. This was the first year I worked with foam and paint, and it came out decently.

If I wear it again, and I probably will, it needs a lot of reconstruction with the wings, and fixes to the paint and boots. The costume needs a lot of small fixes to be wearable again, but they are easy and will make it look a lot better.

2012 was Commander Shepard, which I posted about a ways back, and this year was obviously the weeping angel.

2014 and beyond: who knows. I'll probably also start to make things all year round at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment