Friday, January 17, 2014

New costume first step: acquire shoes

Went out last weekend to get shoes for the costume. Decided to hit up Goodwill for cheap shoes, as they will be bastardized and covered over so they don't have to look good or be a particular color, just the shape I want.

I ended up getting two different pairs of shoes, stiletto pumps with a really high heel, probably over 4 inches, and boots with a lower heel, probably about 3 inches. Reason I got two? Well, combined they were $14, so there's that, and when I tried them on, it was with socks on and the pumps were really tight. I am a size 8.5, and apparently there were no 8.5 size shoes in Goodwill, and the pumps were an 8. I was hoping without socks, they would fit better, but they are still sort of tight. Sometimes I fit an 8 no problem, but they might just be too tall and tight.

If I go with the boots, I'm going to have to cut them down as the boot is bulky and has a zipper already. I'll rip out the zipper, cut them down to booties, and cover them over from there with boot covers. I want the boots to be tight to my leg and as cartoonish as possible. I may still try and use the pumps as they don't need any modification, but I'll have to wear them in first. They might not stretch out, time will only tell.

Next step: buying material. Also, do I want to make my own leotard, or buy one? Tough choices. 

No comments:

Post a Comment